The Coalition War (High Imperial: Bellum Coaliti) was a conflict involving a substantial number of nations on the island of Tahn between the years of 1593 and 1595. The conflict has been noted as being extremely impactful on all of the descendant races, ushering a new era of anti-imperial sentiments after the fall of the 67 year old Imperial State. The conflict lead to the rise of numerous independent human states and the reformation of the Kingdom of Courland and Kingdom of Norland.
The Coalition War was a result of an Imperial advance into Uruk and Urguani lands, with historians acclaiming the rise of the coalition to past events even 30 years prior, including the Seahelm rebellion and the Riga War and the recent beheading of John Renault, Duke of Savoy. The conflict saw two major battles, The Battle of the Gorge and The Battle of Goldfields with the Siege of Johanessburg cut short by a thanium explosion of the city orchestrated by the Emperor himself and carried out by his remaining loyalists.
- 1590 -Battle of Mount Gorgon -Imperial victory
- 1593-Battle of the Gorge -Coalition victory
- 1594 -Battle of Goldfields -Coalition victory
- 1595 -Siege of Johannesburg -Coalition victory
- The Grand Kingdom of Urguan takes the War Uzg in under their protection, angering Oren.
- Oren charges Urguan with violating the Gold-White Concordant by harboring the Orcs and Snow Elves, calling for them to banish them or face war.
- Urguan refuses, causing Oren to declare war on them.
- Oren and its allies march on the dwarves and meet them at the Battle of Mount Gorgon, defeating them and taking the initiative in the war.
- Philip I calls for an advance of the Imperial army north-east of Johanensburg, seeking the Uruk tradition of slavery as a just casus-belli against the War Nation.
- The victorious troops at the Battle of Mount Gorgon, begin the march back to Johannesburg in order to recoup and prepare for the upcoming battle against the orcs.
- The Grand Kingdom of Urguan joins the war in favor of the War Nation, as the Uruks were settled in Urguani land after the ‘War of Orcish Submission’
- The small Barony of Ostwick, in the Arch-Duchy of Lorraine, is gifted to Tobias Staunton after the death of Lord Vimmark, with Tobias calling for others to join him in toppling the Imperial regime. He reforms the Kingdom of Courland and is crowned as Tobias I of Courland.
- The Coalition is formed after many petty lords join Tobias’ rebellion, with the signatories agreeing to aid each-other in any future engagements.
- As the Imperial army attempts to exit the narrow gorge near the Uruk settlement, they are engaged by the Coalition. After numerous hours the Imperial army is destroyed and the remnants retreat back to the Imperial Heartlands. This was marked as the first Imperial defeat on the field for nearly 50 years and was named the Battle of the Gorge.
- The City of Metz, capital of the Arch-Duchy of Lorraine-Kedrin, is couped by a pro-imperial legion after rumors of the Arch-Duke John d’Amaury’s disloyalty and intention to join the coalition.
- The Arch-Duke John formally declares for the coalition and is coronated as John I of Lotharingia. It is unknown if his intention to join the coalition was only a rumor, though the illegal capture of his capital-city leads to his full support of the coalition. He orders his commanders to re-capture his capital.
- The Grand King Algoda Frostbeard is captured and moved to the Imperial city of Johanessburg, where Philip I ordered his execution for his “crimes against humanity”. Bastion Ireheart is elected as the new Grand King.
- The new Imperial army advances into Lotharingia, composed of wounded and new, inexperienced, recruits. The commanders intend to lift the siege of Metz, with the imperial defenders suffering from a lack of supplies.
- John d’Amaury is captured, however, a daring rescue by coalition riders is successful in rescuing the King.
- The Coalition army, compromised of humans, dwarves, uruks, and snow-elves intercept the advancing imperial army. After a lengthy battle, lasting 8 hours, the Imperial army is routed and the Coalition forces begin preparations to advance into the Imperial Heartlands.
- The City of Metz falls as the imperial defenders hear of the Imperial defeat at the Battle of Goldfields.
- Great vassals of the Empire begin to declare their independence, with the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska and the Kingdom of Westerlands both securing a white peace with the coalition forces after declaring their independence.
- The Baron of Cantal and Duke of Mardon, uncle to the Emperor, swears an oath of fealty to Tobias Staunton, leaving the route to Johanessburg open to the Coalition forces.
- The Dominion of Malin exits the war, with minor reparations paid to the coalition.
- The Coalition forces begin the Siege of Johannesburg, the Imperial capital, and begin bombarding the city with projectiles and skirmishing with the remnants of the imperial army outside of the city.
- Philip Frederick controversially ignites a thanium bomb in the city, leading to the utter destruction of the city, the heart of the Imperial State.