Magic is an important part of the flavour of the Lord of the Craft. It has been roleplayed for as long as the Server has existed, beginning chiefly with the Druidic Magic that grew the original Elven city of Laurelin. There are now many different forms of magic that have been created over time.
Magic Applications have recently been re-instated and are required to learn magic in Lord of the Craft. All users of magic are overseen by the Lore Team, who keep track of all the magic users on Lord of the Craft. They examine all magic applications, answer all magic-based questions and occasionally remove magic from players who abuse its power. The power of magic was also drastically reduced in the hope that it would discourage those who simply wish to have magic to give their characters an edge over their opponents.Any mage can only ever become as strong as an elite soldier (whereas previously a master Mage could take on upwards of 3 enemies at once), such that a duel can be fought using PVP mechanics if necessary.
Some subtype can be self taught with enough IC gathering of information but most require a teacher.
Magic is an anchored part of our world. When The Creator pulled all things from nothing and breathed life upon an endless Void, He did so with magic. When he created the first of the mortal beings he did so with magic. And when the Four Fathers of nations were blessed with peace, strength, honour and eternity, their sons and daughters received those blessings with magic. And so, since the beginning of time, magic has always existed and within every living thing exists the ability to use that magic. Though for some their souls may be less inclined towards the pull of magic, or their minds be consumed with the work of the simpler things, yet all of this world are born with the ability to connect with magic.
Sources of Magic
The source of most magical power comes either from the Void or from a higher power.
Void or Arcane based magics tend to be easier to learn, depending upon mental ability and supply of Mana to establish a void connection. The Void is a separate plane of existence that exists everywhere, all the while never being perceived. It is simultaneously nothing and everything. Nothing exists in The Void except for endless potential. Void magics operate by firstly abandoning mental perception of our world to open one’s mind up to the limitless nothing. Once a connection with the void is made, the individual’s mana is required to wield the Void’s energy for magical purposes. Using mana to connect to The Void is a very unnatural process, and the body will show some physical sign of the action that it is undertaking, whether it be a physical tick, twitch or tremor. A Mage will use their studies of their particular subtype to manifest the void’s energy into the form of magic they desire. Once a connection with the void ceases, either voluntarily, by distraction, or from exhausting a supply of mana; the magic ceases to exist, returning instantaneously to nothing within the void. Void Magics are also refered to Arcane Magic.
Alteration [Changing physical properties of objects].
- Transfiguration [Includes enchanting, transmutation and warding/abjuration]
- Telekinesis [The manipulation and lifting of objects]
- Void Translocation [Dematerialising matter in the Void for later use]
- Void Shifting [Dematerialising yourself in the Void for teleportation uses]
- Beardmancy [People able to manipulate and move their hair with magic- a removed magic.]
Evocation [This includes all creation of the elements in the void and pulling it into reality]
- Elemental Evocation [Creation of natural elements]
- Fire [Creation of Fire, Heat, Smoke and other things associated with fire]
- Earth [Creation of natural forms of minerals. While iron ore may be created, plate iron can not]
- Water [Creation of water, ice and steam]
- Air [Creation of air currents and winds]
- Electrical [Creation of electricity]
- Arcanism [Creation of pure energy material]
- Conjuration [Spells that allow you to conjure animals or any creature]
- Primordial Conjuration [Conjuration of elementals. This requires a strong understanding of a particular element and thus only a mage which is both a conjurer and evocationist can summon a morphon].
- Morphon Conjuration [Conjuration of animals.]
- Perennial Conjuration[Conjuration of plants, often mistaken for druidism].
Illusion [All spells that involve tricking or manipulating the subconscious/mind.]
- Sensory Illusion [A form of illusion in which the mage attempts to influence the mind to fabricate senses and emotions.] - This magic is considered open, and anyone may learn it without the guidance of a teacher.
- Cognitism [A specific form of Illusionism that uses visual aids and mental manipulation to increase intelligence and imagination.] - This magic is considered open, and anyone may learn it without the guidance of a teacher.
- Mental Magic [Involves the manipulation of memories and individuals to make illusions.]
- Runesmithing [Smithing magical runes.]
- Voidal Feeling [Discovering more about an item through magic.]
- Arcane Displacement [Creating portals through the Void.]
- Blood Magic [The second generation of Blood Magic. It utilizes genus, a form of energy in the blood to elevate spells to a cataclysmic tier.]
- Soul Puppetry [Through blood, flesh and other natural resources one is able to curse another from any range through a doll.
Deity-based magics borrow the power of higher beings to perform a set list of spells, as defined within each deity subtype. They are much more restricted to learn as the deities will only acknowledge an individual’s desire for magic under certain circumstances. Deities can be very sensitive about whom they bestow powers onto, and this can limit the other types of magic that one may pursue in tandem. Individual spells must also be taught, other by the deity directly, or through a more experienced Follower.
Shamanism [Typically an Orc Magic]:
- Witchdoctor [Stranger and oddity rituals and experimenting. Delve in potion making and other]
- Farseer [Work with the Immortal Spirits, can travel to the spiritual plane and converse with spirits on a neutral field.]
- Elementalist [Work with the elemental spirits, masters of changing and shaping the physical world.]
- Lutauman [Avatars of the ancestors. Converse with the spirits of people themselves and invoke their power and blessing.]
- Nature's Healing [All spells that involve Druidic healing methods.]
- Control of Nature [All spells that have to do with growing/manipulating plants/nature.]
- Blight Healer [Blighted land, burned land, destroyed plant life, these are tended by a Blight Healer. Druids are called upon to heal scarred land that has been ravaged by battle, swept upon by wildfire, or salted by angry warlords.]
- Nature's Communion [The Druid has spent their career focusing on their connection to Nature and the Aspects above all. The Druid would be able to speak with the trees, sing with the animals, and share their knowledge with the forest.]
- Shapeshifting [All spells which involve the specific shapeshifting into a single animal a druid has made a connection with.]
- Cleric Priest [Clerics that follow the path of healing, under the guidance of Tahariae.]
- War Cleric [Clerics that follow the path of combat against dark beings, under the guidance of Tahariae.]
- Ascended [Patrons of Aeriel, enforces of the purity of souls.]
- Paladins [Followers of Xan, Aengul of guardianship.]
- Chronoshaping [Enables one to warp time backwards or forwards, often used for healing.]
- Moongazing [Enables one to look into the past, present, and future in order to discern prophecies or simply find something out.]
- Moonbinding [Enables one to tie the effects of the other two magics into enchantments capable of being used by anyone.]
There are also Other magic types that do not fit into these two sources, having their own source of power. For some of these types the power behind the magic may actually be a deity or the void, though this has never been fully investigated. Most Dark Magics are in this category.
- Dark Shamanism [A form of Shamanism in which the user bends Spirits to their will through forcing them to divulge their true name.]
- Draakar's Boon [The lost magic of the Black Scourge, they had the powers provided by the Draakar Setherien; used by Harbingers and select mortals alike they wrought havoc with mind magic and frostfire. Returned in another form by the Draakar Azdromoth.]
- Fi'hiiran'tanya [This magic comes in two forms; Fi'hiiran'seth which is to drain Void based magics, and Fi'hiiran'acaele which is to drain all deity-based and dark magics.]
- Fjarriauga [The magic of Descendant women who sought vengeance or immortality. Otherwise known as Frost Witches; hailing from the lands of Skjoldier with an unknown past.]
- Necromancy [The art using the raw essence of life itself, an energy called "life-force." A Necromancer is capable of reanimating corpses and life-draining, as well as cursing and corrupting the world around them.]
- Shade [A dark boon created by Iblees that allows the hosts to manipulate their tainted and corrupted aura, entirely independent of Iblees. This gift, or rather curse is known to bring many troubles to the user and those around them.]
- Mysticism [A foul art based around the manipulation of ghosts and spectral entities through a substance called ectoplasm.]
Learning magic takes a very long time in character (it takes years IC to even begin understanding concepts of magic). How fast a character learns the art is many times up to the teacher of the magic, since he knows what the character still has to learn and how, or in the case of magics that are considered free, and the character learns without a teacher, are up to the player to figure out the best speed that he believes his character would learn.
There are a few institutions where one could learn magic. Deity based magics normally can only be learnt if one joins one of their groups.
|Arcane Magic||Alteration||Transfiguration · Telekinesis · Void Translocation · Void Shifting|
|Evocation||Elemental Evocation · Arcanism · Conjuration|
|Illusion||Sensory Illusion · Cognatism · Mental Magic|
|Deity Magic||Runesmithing · Shamanism · Druidism · Clericalism · Ascended Magic · Paladinism|
|Dark Magic||Blood Magic · Dark Shamanism · Fjarriauga · Necromancy · Shade · Mysticism · Thallassos · Strength of the Abyss|
|Artificery||Arcane Familiars · Golemancy · Chi · Ki · Iconoclasm|