War of the Two Emperors
The War of the Two Emperors was a large conflict brought about by the dissolution of the Empire of Man by Antonius I, and the formation of the Empire of Renatus and reformation of the Holy Orenian Empire. The war began with the accession of Joseph I to the throne of the Holy Orenian Empire, and the coronation of Godfrey III as Emperor of Renatus. The war ended with the signing of the Treaty of Reza in 1721, in which the Kingdom of Haense vassalized under the Empire of Renatus.
- The Empire of Renatus, and its allies and vassal-states were led by Godfrey III, Emperor of Renatus. This consisted of:
- The Holy Orenian Empire and its allies and vassal-states were led by Joseph I, Holy Orenian Emperor. This consisted of:
- The Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska (As part of Holy Orenian Empire until 1719).
- The Kingdom of Curonia (Until 1717).
- The Golden City of Ves. (Until 1719)
- The County of Leuven. (As part of Holy Orenian Empire until 1719)
- The Princedom of Fenn. (Until 1719)
- The Reiver Mercenaries
- The Blue Berets / Haensetian Republican Army
- The Elvenesse (Until 1719)
Skirmishes, Battles, and Sieges
- Horen's Welcome 1715 - Battle of Upper Rodenburg - Orenian Victory
- Sun's Smile 1715 - Battle of Lower Rodenburg - Renatian Victory
- Deep Cold 1715 - Battle of Helena Fields - Renatian Victory
- Grand Harvest 1716 - Siege of Helena - Renatian Victory
- Amber Cold 1716 - Battle of the Rivers - Renatian Victory
- Deep Cold 1716 - Battle of Leuven - Renatian Victory
- Sun's Smile 1718 - Second Battle of Leuven - Renatian Victory
- Tobias' Bounty 1719 - Battle of the Silversea - Renatian Victory
- Tobias' Bounty 1720 - Battle of the Koengswald - Renatian Victory
- The lords of Haense and Adria, disenfranchised with the current regime, convene in the fortress of Nenzing and throw their support behind Joseph de Marna.
- Emperor Antonius I releases all vassals from imperial oaths through his edict: A Return to Dust
- Godfrey III is declared Emperor of the newly formed Empire of Renatus through an Imperial missive.
- Joseph I is crowned within the city of Reza as Holy Orenian Emperor by High Pontiff Everard V.
- The Orenian army marches towards the city of Helena and clashes with the Renatian army in the Battle of Upper Rodenburg, resulting in a decisive victory for the Holy Orenian Empire.
- Everard V excommunicates all Pertinaxi Horens, declaring them anathema.
- Clashes continue between smaller bands of soldiers from either side, with both Empires taking a number of victories.
- Coronation of Godfrey III within the palace of Helena.
- The Empire of Renatus marches towards Leuven with a large force attacking the force stationed near there, culminating in the Battle of Lower Rodenbourg and a decisive Renatian victory.
- The Empire of Renatus declares Anabel of Curonia as Queen of Curonia, with two former Curon vassals joining the Renatian Empire.
- An Orenian incursion into the Crownlands is intercepted by Renatian soldiers in the outskirts of Helena. Renatian infantry and cavalry quickly engage in melee, routing Orenian forces.
- As Imperium-allied forces retreat into their capital of Helena and build defensive work, the Orenian alliance lays siege to the capital, beginning the Siege of Helena. After days of a brutal attack, destroying half the palace and much of the city, the armies of Oren push into Helena but are repelled in a final stand in its throne room.
- Upon the Orenian loss of the Siege, the Kingdom of Curonia declare neutrality from Oren, demanding all association be cut. The Orenian crown refuses.
- The Renatians and Orenians meet in a large scale skirmish between the rivers separating Ves and Reza, resulting in the Battle of the Rivers with the Renatians coming out in a decisive victory against the Orenians.
- King Alvar Ruric of Norland is slain by Vydrek Volaren during a tavern blitz by a Reiver and Haensetic raiding party in Dunharrow.
- The Kingdom of Curonia signs an alliance pact with Renatus, allowing them independence as a nation. Defections rise as many soldiers and vassals are unhappy with the decision.
- King Alvar II Ruric dies of flu, and by Ruriksmoot Edvard Ruric inherits the kingdom after a failed coup by Vangel Ruric.
- Renatian forces cross the border into the County of Leuven, and the Orenian army sallies out to meet them, beginning the Second Battle of Leuven. The battle ends when the Orenian army sounds a general retreat, re-entering Leuven and Reza.
- King Marius II of Haense would be assassinated thusly leading to the Kingdom of Haense rebelling from the Holy Orenian Empire and declaring itself exited from the war. A state of regency is declared, due to the young age of Marius' son and heir, Andrew III of Haense
- The Golden City of Ves sign an independence pact with the Empire of Renatus, removing themselves from the war.
- The Federation of Sutica signs an alliance pact with Renatus for the duration of the war.
- The Holy Orenian Empire would fall due to its vassals and allies' departure.
- Renatian-allied forces march from their encampment at the base of Haelun'or turning their direction towards the city of Reza. The Haeseni army meets them along the coastline, beginning the Battle of the Silversea. With Renatus' victory, their march continues onwards towards Reza.
- The Renatian warpath continues, and at the edge of the forest, the outnumbered Haeseni army rallies once more, beginning the Battle of the Koengswald, ending in a Renatian victory.
- Months of negotiation between diplomats of the Empire of Renatus and the Kingdom of Haense culminate in the Treaty of Reza, which officially ends the war.
- The four founders of Renatus, Charles, Antonius, Aurelius I and Augustus I, as well as Emperor Godfrey III convene within the province of Pronce, Aeldin. Growing tired of their forever bonds and allegiance to Renatus calling them to lead, the founders come to the consensus to dissolve the title of the Kingdom of Renatus. It is then declared that the successor state will be the Kingdom of Cascadia, with Godfrey taking upon his Father's title.
Treaty and Aftermath
Treaty of Reza
Emperor Godfrey continued to pursue the war on Haense after the dissolution of Oren, with no support left for the weak Kingdom they quickly succumbed to a high multitude of losses. With an increasing pressure placed on to the newly crowned King of Haense, there was not much he could do to save his Kingdom rather than to indulge in a secret meeting with the Emperor.
In 1721, terms were reached between the two parties in which resulted in Haense re-vassalising underneath the Emperor and ceding large swathes of land to the victors, thus resulting in the end of the Haeseni rebellion and concluding the War of the Two Emperors in a decisive win. The period of turbulence and violence would end through the defeat of the false Emperor and Haense.
Dissolution of the Crown of Renatus, Reformation of Oren
Following the War of the Two Emperors, Godfrey was called to a meeting dubbed “The Council of Founders”, a culmination of this meeting decreed that the Kingdom of Renatus would be disbanded, replaced by the Kingdom of Cascadia. This was put in to full effect alongside his own decision to reform the 8th Empire as the Holy Orenian Emperor, severing ties and association with the former Renatus-core of the 7th Empire.